Monday, January 25, 2010

Makenna's Eyes

Quick update-she had her second eye appt today...I was all prepared, questions written down and ready for lots of discussion...um, yeah, it took like 10 minutes and they didn't exam her eyes or do anything other than look at her and say "Good, she's wearing her glasses! She is adorable!". Yup, all things I knew already. At least she has pink eye so we got a new prescription (now Makenna doesn't have to use Katey's old stuff).
I asked for an official diagnosis and the MD states she has extreme farsightedness-no other dx. I asked if we should be exploring finding a specialist. The MD today said she didn't think Makenna needed to see a specialist at this point d/t her age and inability to participate in exams right now (once she can talk things will be a little different). I have been reading A LOT on eye and vision problems and I think I would just feel better overall if Makenna saw a specialist-at least one time. If at all possible I would love to avoid having to patch her eyes...and I am just over all worried about her eye crossing and what that means, how they are monitoring it, and so on....my nurse friends at work agree that I should probably push this issue too-never disagree with a nurse right?
The good news is that according to the MD Makenna's prescription will very likely NOT get worse...only maybe a wee bit better as she grows. She would probably recommend contacts in middle school or when Makenna starts to participate more in sports or activities (but really not before that because of risk of infections). Eye surgeries are ever changing and Makenna will very likely have lots of options for correction surgery when she is older. I also checked out the little girl selection of eyeglasses in the clinic and there are so many that are cute, cute, cute!!
So I guess I did learn a little bit more today than what I had thought-I just looked forward to the appt and felt it should have been more involved!
MD recommends going back in six months-she will have another dilation exam and we will hopefully be able to do some other vision testing too (she will be almost 2!).

I am also going to consult my latest little obession http://littlefoureyes.com/collected-wisdom/ and see what the expert parents out there have to say!
I am also going to call on Ms. Molly to see if she agrees with this plan of action or not. She is super smart on the vision issues and I think she will give us some great advice too.

No comments: