Monday, December 7, 2009

A Million Questions

Last week we found out that Makenna is extremely farsighted. She needs glasses. Her prescription is +9 in both eyes...if anyone knows much about prescriptions-that is CRAZY high. She will always need glasses-and they will be strong. We were sort of in shock about it...but I decided that the more information you have, the better right? I got online and googled anything and everything I could about eyes, vision, kids, you name it...I found the BEST website (Little Four Eyes), actually it is a blog and it is a wealth of information about babies, toddlers and kids in glasses and the parents who are raising these adorable kids. We have gotten phone calls and emails from so many people who care about Makenna and I feel so blessed to know that she is so loved. We are thankful that we found out about her vision early and she will be able to see...as soon as she adjusts to her new glasses-which I am hoping will be in by the end of the week. We have a follow up appt in January and she will have another vision exam (fun) and I am planning on bringing along my notebook full of questions. Because I seriously have a million questions. And I am terrified of not doing the right thing. And I am so sad that my poor baby has gone for 16 months without really "seeing" her world. Now that we know, I have been watching her like a hawk and it breaks my heart that we didn't see the signs....she is so clumsy! She bumps her head ALL the time. She gets frustrated so easily. She is scared of new places and new people. She doesn't play with toys that Katey LOVED at her age. The list goes on....and of course all of things are typical of a child her age too so there was no way to know...but still. I feel guilty. I am scared she will be teased. I am scared she won't feel like she fits in or feel "pretty". I feel guilty for worrying about vain things-but I know how kids are, I know how if feels to be a girl in Jr. High, and I know how important that stuff can be (even though in the long run it isn't). I just want her to grow up feeling confident and proud of herself. And most importantly I want to ensure that her vision is the best it can be....that we do all that is possible to preserve what vision she does have and hopefully improve it. I have no idea if her eyes will always cross. I have no idea how her eyes will change as she grows. All I know is that she is going to be adorable in her little pink wire glasses and we will get to know the eye clinic very very well over the next few years!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Emily, don't you dare feel the least bit guilty about all of this! You are the best mom Makenna could have. Remember kids are very resilient and she will get through all of this just fine! Hang in there!!

Nerissa said...

Totally agree with Becca ... there was no way you could've known Makenna had poor vision. Just be thankful that you found out now while she is still so young.

You'll have to post a picture once she gets her new glasses! I can't wait to hear what her reaction is when she can see the world!

Emily said...

you are guys are so sweet...thank you!!!