Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Makenna's surgery

This picture was taken about one day after we got home-as you can see the results were immediate...her eyes were already much more aligned. The inside corners were bloody, and this faded as the days went on. Makenna had to have eye drops three times a day for the first week and that was difficult because it was more like ointment than drops...and getting into her eye without touching anything else and while her eye was still open as she cried. You see where I am going with this.

I took this picture the same weekend after her surgery and this was the first time I really got a good look at her eyes without glasses on....and I was VERY happy with the results! It is amazing to me how much a difference the surgery made....she looks absolutely beautiful!


Overall I have no complaints about the surgery-the hospital staff were wonderful, the kept us well informed and calmed our worries and fears. Luckily they knew how to handle her anxiety well and we ended up getting some meds on board to calm her down before the anesthesia. I honestly wish I could have taped her because she was acting so silly! I think I got a good peek into what Makenna will be like when she is 21 and drunk:) She will be super fun. She went from being quiet and not looking at anyone to chatting it up with any nurse or MD that walked into the room. She was trying to count stars on her jammies and lost track at 3...when Joe reminded her that 4 came next she laughed like it was the funniest thing he had ever said. Having some laughs really got our nerves calmed before taking her back to the OR. I was able to actually put on scrubs and take her back and lay her down on the table and I helped with getting the mask on her and everything. Good, but also, a bit weird because I am not sure I needed to see the inside of the operating room!

She was in surgery for 2 hours and we were out of recovery within an hour of her waking up. She was so sleepy and slept for another 4 or 5 hours after we left the hospital. I was so happy that she slept great that night (even though we were not at home) and was feeling pretty much back to normal the next day. I was so proud of her and how the entire experience went. Now we just pray that this will be the only surgery she will need and her eyes will continue stay strong!





No comments: