So it has been almost exactly one year since Makenna got her glasses..one year ago on November 30 was when we found out that she needed them...and I am pretty sure her first pair arrived sometime just before Christmas. I do remember that I was scared and sad about it. Since then she has done great...one year later we have had 4 appointments, and four pairs of glasses! But she wears her glasses like a pro now and it seems like second nature-so I wasn't very concerned about her appointment yesterday-especially because she finally has a pair of kick butt Miraflex frames that stay on, fit perfectly, and are apparently unbreakable.
One small change is that her eyes do seem to cross a bit more now...a little, once in awhile, I think I see it kind of change.
Makenna did amazing yesterday! She sat perfectly still and did not cry a single tear...mind you the appointment lasted 3 hours total. Joe and I were practically falling all over her for being such a good little girl. Seriously, so proud of her. The last few appointments were sort of traumatic and awful-screaming, crying and me holding her head still while they shined lights in her eyes and made her look at odd little animal toys and light up toys. No joke, they bring in a whole bag of toys and junk to use for the exams. Anyway...she sat great through the exams (3) and I was not even sweating at the end-a success! The not so great part of the appointment is that we found out she in fact is crossing her eyes more-and her prescription has increased in both eyes...+9 right eye and +10 left eye. Minimal increase but enough to warrant getting new lenses to ensure that we are doing absolutely everything to determine if her crossing can improve. If in 3-4 months there is no change, or the crossing is worse we will start talking about eye muscle surgery...and patching. So we will follow up in a few months and see where we are at. I can say in all confidence right now that I am already worried about her next appointment and what the outcome will be and plans for the next steps. I am worried about my sweet baby girl having an eye muscle surgery (I am sure it is routine but STILL) and I am really hoping we won't have to start patching...from what I read it can be a struggle and rough on kids...I definitely need to stop reading stuff online...today I am finding myself scouring the Internet again. So hopefully things will be uneventful over the next few months and we will get good news at her next appointment. I am going to try to forget about this little lump in my throat-I know I have 1,000 and more reasons why I should be grateful that Makenna is so healthy but this vision stuff still gets me...
2 comments:
what a trooper! that's amazing! and i know what you mean about the vision thing getting to you in spite of all the positives and general healthiness.
The first thing I thought of when reading about Makenna being so good at the eye doctor is that, of course, it's because Santa is coming to town!
When does Makenna's calendar come out?
Post a Comment