We continue to try to get ourselves ready to move...packing slowly but surely and getting things boxed up-I keep having small memories while I do this and flashes of what our life has been like here at this house.
My life with Joe has changed dramatically in the last seven years. I wanted him to marry him...we broke each others hearts and went our separate ways...and then figured out that we should definitely not be apart. He proposed on New Years Eve in the living room. This house was the beginning for us, the real beginning.
The years are a blur because once we got married Katey was on the way...and she changed our lives forever. It was hard. She had colic and tested us as new parents. We learned little tricks to make her stop crying, like using the hair dryer after she was swaddled. I will always remember after my first happy hour with girls-I walked in the door to find all of her blankets and baby toys strewn about the house, her play mat was out and lights blinking, my hair dryer plugged in the living room abandoned...and Joe sitting in the chair with a crying Katey. He tried everything he could think of.
I was standing at the sink doing dishes this weekend and had a memory of the first bath that I gave Katey. Her black hair curled up immediately-she was so precious and I was flooded with so much raw emotion (hormones!) and love that I literally had to lean on the counter to stop myself from falling apart in tears. I hope I don't ever forget how I felt that day.
I remember being pregnant with Makenna and the day I went into labor I was at Erin's house for a mommy and me pool party. I headed home and layed on the bed trying to time my contractions. Katey read books and we spent about an hour together timing contractions and knowing that this would be the last few hours that Katey was our only child.
Makenna Ann was the opposite of Katey as a baby...completely relaxed and never cried unless she was tired or hungry. Makenna and I spent a lot of time rocking in the living room...watching House Hunters International in the wee hours of the morning. When I think of Makenna as a newborn I remember sitting in the rocking chair with her in my arms-content as can be. We watched the political parties battle it out for a new President and I remember thinking that Makenna would be my little Democrat:)
This house has of course seen many many things over the years. For me it will be the house that I brought my babies home to.
3 comments:
Well hell you have me in tears!
You are going to have so many fun memories of your girls growing up in your new house!!
LOTL!
This is a great post Emily ...
Crying....thanks you crazy girl!!!!
Post a Comment